Monday, March 14, 2011

A New Series: The MTA may be the death of me...or at least of my sanity

I don't think I am alone in my belief that the MTA and particularly the NYC subway system is perhaps the most poorly run organization ever and causes more stress to its passengers (who, I might add, most often have no other choice for transport) than tax season, moving or the DMV. Yes, it's that bad.

So I've decided to document briefly my a.m. experiences to prove to myself that I am not, in fact, exaggerating, and hopefully to purge the anxiety caused by my morning commute. Perhaps if I look forward to blogging about what's happened to me on the train, I won't feel like screaming in the middle of the train while it's stuck underground (anyone remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine's stuck and her internal monologue? Yeah, that's me everyday.) Ok here we go:

Day: Monday (already annoyed, clearly)

Train: F

Time entered train: 7:55 a.m. (Was very happy to have started my journey early as had just left from gym - will be on time - no - early - to work - yay!)

Time departed from train: 8:40 a.m. (Complete and utter anxiety in nearly full swing now)

Length of ride: 45 minutes.

Length ride SHOULD have been: 20-25 minutes.

Number of times following phrases was heard, "Ladies and gentleman, we are delayed because of train traffic ahead of us. Please be patient:" 7

Ability to actually be patient: Impossible.

Number of times conductor uttered incomprehensible garble over the train's speaker system: 3

Number of words among this garble that were discernible: 0

Number of times train stopped underground: Countless

Frustration scale (1 to 10 - 10 being closest to losing it): 9.5

Until tomorrow folks - lets see what Tuesday's trip brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment