Thursday, March 25, 2010

Happy Hour

I'd been hearing all about this place in Time Out New York (since I randomly get a subscription to it without ever having asked to - not going to complain) called "Rye House." Apparently it's the new place to be. Since it's only four blocks down from the boyfriend's work, Wednesday after a long day of recruiting at the Purchase College Career Fair, I headed in, met him and we decided to check it out.

Our first indulgence was the Green Flash Double Stout, brewed in Cali with an 8.80% ABV. We split it because, well, I've become a light weight in my old age and can't handle too much brew though I do love it oh so much. This was a good one - VERY good. Sweet and smooth and creamy, just the way a stout should be. And extra full-bodied with a thick and milky head and chocolately goodness. Yummy.

The next treat was a Left Hand Milk Stout, a little less toxic at only 5.2% ABV, and since we split it, we effectively only had one beer each - totally manageable, and a cheap date to boot! This one is brewed in Colorado and was not nearly as impressive as the first, though not a bad pick. Had I to do it over, I would have switched the order, had the lighter one first. The Left Hand is a bit on the watery side for me - almost no head, but because it's light and mild, it's very easy to drink.

Next time, we're going to indulge in one of the specialty cocktails there - like the Appleseed Cobbler, with Maker’s Mark Bourbon, Laird’s Bonded Applejack, cinnamon bark syrup and apples. Did someone say dessert?

No comments:

Post a Comment